Friday, June 8, 2007

issues of access?


http://brotherelectron.blogspot.com/



Adam’s piece was the most entertaining to visualize for me. Though, as I think he noted himself, there are a lot of open questions and potential criticisms here. He is separating himself from a group of less privileged people – presumably in reality and absolutely in the construction of his project. You could easily accuse him of being socio-economically condescending, presumptuous, culturally elitist, etc… but isn’t that what education is all about? Especially an education in “art theory and practice” of all things?

Ok, I jest, but honestly, to really get anything from this project, I think you have to take those things as givens: and I think Adam has admitted and apologized for them in a way. We all know these things, we’re not pretending they don’t exist, but they are the context within which these posted items function. There you go.

From here, what do we have? I am much more interested in Adam posting his class notes than the posted notes that remain. He is entering a community as an “other,” it’s not the other way around (again, presumably in one sense, definitively in another). He is leaving his traces in this place. What will these reactions be?

Of course people could just think it’s weird, which is probably the most likely response, but it’s interesting to think of others. Of course, the first that comes to my mind is disgust. Who is rubbing this shit in our faces? Or it could be confusion, or, possibly, intrigue. Clearly, no one would objectively gain from any information posted.

The next thing I wonder is: what if he ran into an interested party while posting these notes? What kind of interaction would that yield? Would it bring those possibilities to his attention? This is what I want to see. I want to see good ole brother electron running into one of the recipients of his experimental posting and hashing out the why’s who’s and what’s.

No comments: